Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday Joshua

Joshua, you turn two today. You have such a gentle and sweet temperament, and having a little sister around makes that even more visible. You always ask to see the baby, to hold her and to play with her. You help mommy feed her by bringing me burp clothes, bibs, or pillows, and you like to crawl inside her playmat and lie down next to her. This morning I put both of you on the couch. Your Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show started playing and I was about to nurse her. When Mickey Mouse said, "oh Toodles", you got super excited and turned to the baby and told her, "oh Toodles, ah." You then pointed to the TV and looked down at her again and said, "oh Toodles, oh Toodles." I can tell that you love her so much and you want to be friends with her.

You are also a smart and creative boy. A couple days ago the three of us were hanging out on the couch. You suddenly started singing a song about the baby - "baby sister, baby sister, baby sister sleeping...." You totally made up the melody and words on your own. I love that rules of music composition doesn't exist in your world and your expression of music is completely unplanned and instinctive. You can sing and recognize so many songs. At 18 months you started singing along to Jesus Loves Me and Here I Am To Worship when we sung it to you at bedtime. We loved hearing you imitate the sounds of the words. You also loved doing hand motions to classic kids songs like Wheels on the Bus and Isty-bitsy Spider. By 22- 23 months you pretty much knew how to sing Jesus Loves Me and The Alphabet Song, and can sing parts of Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, Here I Am to Worship, and Twinkle Tiwnkle. In fact, I think you started singing Twinkle Twinkle probably around 21 months. Between 23-24 months you also knew the songs and song titles of: You are Here (The Same Power), Hosanna, Oh Lord You're Beautiful, Sometimes You Win Sometimes You Lose by Yo Gabba Gabba , Up-and-Down by Yo Gabba Gabba, The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song, The Hotdog Dance song from MMC.

Mommy and Daddy are always surprised by how much you know and understand. You can quickly make associations between things. Like, several weeks ago, Uncle Joel was over and he let you toy around with his iPhone. After a few days had passed you saw an iPhone advertisement that came in the mail and you pointed to it and said, "Uncle Joel, Uncle Joel." That was pretty amazing to us. We are always asking each other, "how does he know that?" because you know and say things that we never intentionally taught you. You're like a living sponge that soaks in the world around you - if you've seen something or heard something once, we can expect that you'll remember it.

As I try to remember all the fun we've had together in the past two years, I feel happy and sad at the same time. I'm happy and proud of the boy that you've become, but I also feel sad that you're growing up so fast. I'm thankful to God for allowing me to be your mommy. It is a blessing that I'll never take lightly. I hope that you never lose your appetite for learning. I hope that God will preserve the gentle spirit and heart of kindness that He has woven into you. I love you so incredibly much and I'm so proud that you are my son.

Happy Birthday honey Josh!

No comments:

Post a Comment